Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Fogo em meu coração

These last two months have come and gone before I have had a chance to blink. My eyes have been opened to more things than I could put into words. The disparity among classes in Brazil is some of the worst I could have imagined. The rampant disregard for life is not something I expected in the culture where people will take another's life for a missed drug payment that is the equivalent of less than $1 USD. The idolatry of futebol is more of a religion than even some of the most devout Christians I know.

At the same time, the veracity of many of the believers that are walking after God is inspiring. Their devotion to God and intensity of prayer is powerful and is provocative to spur my own faith forward. The Iris base in Fortaleza is full of people that lay their own dreams and desires down to serve one another and to encourage each other.



Unfortunately, my phone was taken in the midst of a crowd and so I am without many pictures other than what I can borrow from others. After all I know, you'd think I'd have more wisdom in certain situations... At the same time, it was good to not be tied to technology and simply BE in the moment. So bear with me!

While there:

- our first night, 8 brothels for children were closed and pimps arrested
- established a house of prayer that ran nearly 12 hours a day
- partnered with local churches and brought teachings as well as equipping for outreaches
- outreaches in the favelas to children and others that lived there
- I was able to go to a match and see the world champions play
- held a banquet for the women we met, which ended up leading to a couple giving their lives to Christ
- saw physical healings
- outreaches to those caught in sex slavery
- went undercover to find brothels
- worshipped in the midst of the streets and had a block party
- learned more than I could discuss about community and family



This was just a glimpse of some of the things that we encountered while there and there's so much more to it that I have yet to even unpack myself.

I will continue praying for Fortaleza and earnestly desire that you would be led to do the same to stop the injustices that are allowed to happen. Pray for the enforcement of police to shut down brothels, for legalized prostitution to cease, and for the church to awaken to bring restoration to the streets.

Bom dia!




No comments:

Post a Comment