Saturday, September 7, 2013

Relaxing is hard work

Let's go ahead and start off with what I'm sure you're all wondering, my bags arrived! I had pretty much accepted that they wouldn't come and it was just part of the adventure. A little after a week the airline told me they finally came. 

Now for the fun. Last weekend at the water survival training was glorious. We learned how to line fish using plastic water bottles, net fish, and of course spear fish. The spear fish was not the biggest success... We go at night when the fish are asleep so they're not as fast. Sadly, they're still faster than I am. Our guide would dive over 30 feet down on the bottom of the reef, wait, then strike. I would go 10 feet down, flutter, and strike some coral and watch the fish smile by. The way we cleaned the fish was definitely different than I'm used to doing with a filet knife back home. We also ate a number of fish raw. 

I've never seen such colorful fish as here. The locals with us made us baskets for all the fish and then we dug in with our hands which has been common for every meal which is wonderful to do when you have flies all over the place and rats scurrying around. We grabbed a sea cucumber and I wanted to try it even though it looked like the epitome of rancid. It began to puke its guts over us. Beautiful creation...

I shared ultimate frisbee with the group and we played it for awhile which was a blast. 

As the sun was setting, we jumped off the wharf a few times and sang worship songs as the prawns would light up the ocean with fluorescence. Nothing quite like it. 

We went to another island Nahlop to do some more fishing which also was a mass failure. My Pohnpeian brother made us fresh coconut rice which was amazing. 

I tried spearfishing again and the highlight was seeing a reef shark. I tried getting the others with me to come see it and of course they all just peaced out as soon as they could. I also saw a large manta which was another good surprise. 

This week our speaker was the author of God of Light, God of Darkness and he presented life changing missions blueprints on how to meet the people with the God they already have in their culture and how there have been mass strides in areas where this has occurred.  

The past weekend my group travelled to Parem Island where we stayed with the chief. The nas (hut) we stayed in was quite nice compared to what we've been staying in. We hiked around the whole island and had the most succulent star fruit which we grabbed off the trees. It's the only fruit I've had down here and I would love more. We were able to pray for a number of the locals. In total the island only has around 100 people on it and they're mostly high at all times it seems. One of the men lived in Missouri for the last 14 years in Raytown, what a small world. 


At night we had a youth service with some songs and our locals shared their testimony which rocked a few of the kids and we were able to pray for them all. 

When we were getting picked up by boat it was low tide so we had to carry our stuff out a few hundred yards and wade through it all. 

I've been meeting with the others that feel to go to Thailand to pray together and I'm feeling more and more to go there. God gave me Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says The Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome. 

Last night a few of us felt called to go into town and just chat with some of the locals and love on the them. We ended up getting kicked out of one place. Too fun! Haven't had that happen before. 

I'm hoping to head out climbing either later today or tomorrow on this rock face. It'll definitely test my limits. One of the guys here is from Switzerland and is an incredibly gifted climber and outdoorsmen so I'm counting on learning a few things. 

Next weekend we'll be exploring this island some more and I plan on learning to speak some more Pohnpeian. 

Island life is not the life for me I've learned. The locals lay around all day doing nothing, fish at night and repeat. I can feel my body and brain decaying. No wonder they turn to drugs so they can feel something. 

Now let's see if I can end this with some deep, life altering thoughts that I'm experiencing. Relaxing and giving up complete control has been harder than any work day I have had since there's no stimulation of radio, computer, television, radio or other distraction. I never expected to find myself in such a need of detox from the life I was accustomed to. The Pohnpeians do nothing but give to each other and in turn do not expect to receive anything. They also are very choice in their words and use them sparingly. Additionally, they don't see their skills as anything special and are such a humble people. Basically, they're the opposite of Americans. 

Don't forget to enjoy the present and enjoy every new morning. 




No comments:

Post a Comment